History of formation and development:
After the establishment of the Faculty of Environmental Sciences in 1995 following the Decision of the Director of Hanoi National University (435/TCCB dated 21stOctober 1995), the Department of Environmental Modeling and Environmental Technology (precursor of the Department of Environmental Technology) was founded on February 13rd, 1996 by the Decisison of Rector of the VNU University of Science. At first, the Department had only 4 staff members: Assoc. Prof. Pham Ngoc Ho (Dean), Dr. Trinh Thi Thanh (Head of Department), MSc. Tran Yem (Deputy Head of Department) and BSc. Dong Kim Loan; then added BA. Nguyen Manh Khai, BSc. Do Thi Moc (Technician), Assoc. Prof. Le Dien Dung and MSc. Vu Quyet Thang (CRES staff) on work in the Department. Over the next 10 years (from 2000), some post-graduates (Dr. Nguyen Thi Ha, MSc. Vu Van Manh, MSc. Nguyen Thi Anh Tuyet …) and some transfer officers (Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Thi Loan, MSc. Pham Thi Mai, Eng. Do Anh Tuan, Dr. Tran Van Quy, …) had been working in the Department. After 22 years of development, up to now (in 2018), the Department have currently 16 staff with 13 full-time staff and 3 part-time staff.
100% of lecturers have reach postgraduate degrees, specialization in Environmental Technology and Environmental Sciences. Of which, many lecturers studied abroad, such as: 03 in Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) – Thailand, 01 in Australia; 01 in Russian Federation; 01 in Sweden, 01 in Czechoslovakia, 01 in Belgium, 03 in Germany, and 01 in Japan.
- Associated. Prof. Nguyen Thi Ha – Head of department
- Dr. Pham Thi Thuy – Vice head of department
- Associated. Prof. Nguyen Manh Khai – Dean of Faculty
- Associated. Prof. ĐoQuang Huy – Director of Natural Science Ltd.
- Dr. Tran Thi Huyen Nga
- Dr. LeThi Hoang Oanh
- Dr. Ngo Van Anh
- Dr. Nguyen Minh Phuong
- PhD. Hoang Minh Trang
- MSc. Pham Hoang Giang
- MSc. Cai Anh Tu
- MSc. Le Huong Giang
- MSc. Luu Minh Loan
- Associated. Prof. Tran Van Quy – Head of Construction PMU (part-time cadres)
- Associated. Prof. Tran Thi Hong – Vice head of Post Graduated Department (part-time cadres)
Dr. Ngo Lan Phuong – Vice head of Post Graduated Department (part-time cadres)Some staff have been participating in the leadership of the Faculty such as Prof. Dr. Pham Ngoc Ho – former Dean of Faculty in 2 terms (1996 – 2004) and former director of Research Center for Environmental Monitoring and Modeling (2004-2010); Assoc. Prof. Trinh Thi Thanh – former Vice Dean of the Faculty (2000-2004) and former Party secretary (2005-2008); Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Thi Ha – former Vice Dean of the Faculty (2004-2009), Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Manh Khai – former Vice Dean of the Faculty in 2 terms (2009-2018) and currrent Dean of the term 2018-2023; MSc. Pham Thi Mai – former President of faculty Trade union for two terms; Assoc. Dong Kim Loan – former head of faculty Trade union; MSc. Le Huong Giang – the Vice president of the faculty Trade union. Some lectures have received notable certificates of merit such as Assoc. Prof. Trinh Thi Thanh and Assoc. Prof. Do Quang Huy also received the title of Teacher of Excellence and the Certificate of Merit from the Prime Minister, Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Thi Ha and Assoc. Prof. Dong Kim Loan were awarded as outstanding staff by the Ministry of Education and Training, Assoc. Prof. Dong Kim Loan and Dr. Pham Thi Thuy received the Certificates of Merit from Vietnam National University Hanoi. Assoc. Prof. Dong Kim Loan also received the Medal “For the sake of science and technology”.
Function and responsibility:
– Training programs: Environmental Engineering (2/3 specialized fields: Solid waste treatment, wastewater treatment), Environmental Science (Field of Toxicology and Treatment of Toxicants)
– Type of training: Standard, hournor, and advanced programs
– Master program: Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering
– Doctoral program: Soild and Water environment, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering(Project 911 in cooperation with Kitakyushu University, Japan)
Staff also lecture in many cooperation and international programs in University of Science and Technology Hanoi (Vietnam + France), Vietnam – Japan University, International program in Waster Resource Management (Thuy Loi University and University of Cologne), …
A staff had co-supervied a PhD. Student from Cambridge, UK.
Specialized research areas:
- Waste treatment technology: proper technologies in treatment and utilization of solid waste; principles and mechanisms of pollution treatment technologies; application and deployment of waste treatment technologies,…
- Toxicology and treatment of toxicants: Fate and transformation of toxicants/pollutants, their accumulation, translocation and impacts on the environment and ecosystem, technological measures for controlling and removal of toxicants, …
- Techniques for environmental analysis and assessment: environmental chemistry, environmental quality assessment, waste treatment technology assessment, …
In the last 5 years, every year the Department took a leading position in in student scientific research the Faculty of Environmental Science: number of student scientific researchess have been accounted for more than 50% of the whole Faculty, the student researches have been awarded first, second and third prizes at the University level, Vietnam National University level, and Ministry level.
From 2013 to now, staff of the Department have achieved 84 national publications, 22 international publications (of which 6 are indexed in ISI system and 1 in Scopus system), 10 presentations in national conferences and 13 presentations in international conferences.
Staff of the Department are leaders and main participants of 36 projects at all levels and 26 scientific research contracts.
The Department have been participating in educational exchange programs and scientific researches in envirionmental field such as OEPAC program with Tokyo University, various programs with Kitakyushu University, SAUNAC project with some European countries, RoHan project with Rostock University and the Leibniz Institute for Catalysis Rostock, …
The department has been involved with the department in exchange for training and environmental science studies. The department’s officers have participated in several international cooperation projects, overseas training programs: With the University of Tokyo, Kitakyushu, Japan; University of Valladolid, Spain; The Saunac project of Eramus+, Project with the University of Rostock,…Staff have taken part in number of Programme to teach inter-international cooperation:
- Thai Nguyen Advanced program for bachelor’s degree
- The Master program for Resource Management and Technology (TERMA) of the University of Water resource, Viet Nam and University of Cologne, Germany.
- The Master program of the French University of Vie, tnam
- Participating in Master program of Environmental Engineering for the University of Vietnam – Japan
- Participate in the topics, research duties, international cooperation, here are several topics, typical projects:
- Join program “Sustainability Alliance of Urban Networks in Asian Cities” – EU, (2016-2019)
- On-site education program in Analytical Chemistry, University of Tokyo, Japan. (2017-2022)
- Project: Mitigating environmental crisis in the future-modifying policy from dead fish disaster, MONRE and UNDP (2016-2017)
- Project: Supervise the quality of water based on OXFAM’s community(2017)
- Project: Decentralized water treatment by waste-to-product approach using low cost – high performance adsorbents and ion-exchange, cooperation withKU Leuven -Belgium (2017-2020)
- Project: Evaluation of low-cost cellulosic materials from agricultural by-products for removal of heavy metals from polluted water sources, cooperation withKU Leuven -Belgium (2014-2016)
- Project: Novel decentralized systems for arsenic-free drinking water for rural Vietnam, cooperation with Univerversity of Technology Sydney (2017-2018)
- Project: Purifying system for small town in peri-urban and rural area (arsenic contaminated water treatment, cooperation with Wooyoung Engineering Co., Ltd., Korea (2018-2019)